Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Bible Study Experiences


Greetings!
In 2020, we aim to be more intentional about forming and maintaining small group Bible studies. Some of us have participated in several smaller Bible studies over the years, while, for others of us, this would be a first-time experience. And...raise your hand if you always love first time experiences! [...Stillness...] No one does? Neither do we. First-time experiences are usually uncomfortable in some way, even if they are wonderful at the same time. So to help someone potentially overcome the uncertainty of a first-time experience, Let’s share our favorite memories and/or lessons learned from small group Bible studies in the past.  Please share your memories and experiences in the comments section. 
We look forward to this opportunity to strengthen bonds, increase authenticity/accountability in our relationships, experience discipleship, and grow closer to God through it all! 

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: 
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. 
The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: 
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. 
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: 
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. 
More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
—Psalm 19:7-10


Blessings on your week, 
The SPT




6 comments:

  1. I moved to Quincy and began attending Taylor church when I was unconverted. My first experience with a small group Bible study landed me in a group with the elder and his wife (I still wonder if that was a coincidence... :)). It was a great way to develop cross-generational relationships and increase intimacy among the church family. For me personally, it played a key role in bringing me to Christ, as I was drawn in by the love of the church family as we explored the Word together. I was also part of a women's small group that helped me grow spiritually in that first year in addition to helping me develop relationships as a newcomer to a close-knit group. I have been involved in some form of small group Bible study for a good portion of my time in Chicago. Venue and participants have changed over time, but in all cases I have found it spiritually beneficial and a wonderful way to grow closer to my sisters in Christ. Corporate interaction at church, while precious and invaluable, is more "relationship maintenance" than "relationship forming," at least in my experience. I feel that deep bonds form better through more individualized interactions in smaller group settings, outside of Sunday worship. These bonds in turn strengthen our church family overall and are what make Sunday worship so meaningful. I am excited for this new small group initiave in Chicago, and I believe it will have a positive impact on our church!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found the small group Bible study environment to be very positive. I've been a part of small group studies off and on since high school and have really appreciated them. I still have very fond memories of sitting with a group of brothers around Dave Wiegand's kitchen table (with Ethel in the back, ready to pop in just in time for popcorn and lemonade). The smaller groups have naturally led to deeper, more personal discussions and connections. More recently, I've benefitted and grown while being a part of the Chicago guys Bible study, and feel I have a stronger connection with the brothers in that study because of it. The studies also allow for open sharing of thoughts and perspectives and have often helped me consider passages of scripture in a different light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Participating in Bible Studies has helped me be more intentional in studying God's Word. Going through a book or learning more about someone in the Bible helps me understand better how God works in so many ways. I enjoy the monthly bible study as it brings together those of all ages and walks of life and allows for many viewpoints to be shared. It is so encouraging that God can work through any that are willing to submit to him. My attendance in bible studies has varied through the years as different seasons of life make it more difficult to attend but I have always found them to be a blessing when I participate. I am thankful Bible studies are available for me and my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In every Bible study I have been a part of, from my first months attending the AC church as a scared college freshman to more recent years in Chicagoland, I have learned things about my Sisters that have softened my heart toward them and increased my respect for them. I second Diana's comment about "relationship forming" vs. "relationship maintenance".

    ReplyDelete
  6. While schedules don't always permit it, I have always enjoyed participation in Bible studies when I am able. The smaller, the better usually.

    These have given me a great opportunity to get to know my brothers in Christ more than just the casual conversations in church. A chance to study together, whether a character study, trait, topic or book of the Bible (my favorite), is a great way to sharpen each other.

    Maybe it is getting a different perspective, or learning something new from the others or the study, I gain a deeper understanding. It takes effort, for sure, but it is well worth it. And now I am learning that online meetings, while not ideal, is convenient and still a great way to connect.

    ReplyDelete